Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Traditions

Everyone has their traditions. Our big one is going to cut down the tree. Saturday was our day, and I was, as usual, over-eager to accomplish our task.

We headed out to a place we had seen advertised on 100th street. As we drove in, I got a little nervous at the trees I saw. We trudged through the snow with Elise trailing behind, discovering that the snow was cold and kinda hard to walk in, looking desperately to find any tree decent enough to take home. Sadly, we couldn't find one. I made Bryan go back into the barn and explain to the very nice people that we just didn't find a tree in their very large field. It was then that they confided that they wouldn't buy a tree out of their selection, either.

Plan B. We drove back into town, bought a newspaper, and headed to Allendale to Bosch's tree farm. Talk about beautiful trees! Elise had fun riding on the sled out into the field, and Bryan did a great job cutting it down, and I hauled it back to the car.

Yes, our lack of a good plan cost us most of our Saturday. Yes, we paid way more money than we usually do. Yes, I lost my cool a little bit as I mentally crossed off all the other tasks I had hoped to complete that day. But! We got a beautiful tree, made some good memories, got to eat popcorn balls compliments of the Bosches, and now have our tree up and decorated to enjoy for the rest of the Christmas season.











No comments:

Post a Comment