Sunday, October 17, 2010

Happy 2 Baby Girl!

Today we celebrated Elise's 2nd birthday. It was such a great day, filled with our families and everything wonderful about celebrating a little girl.


I remember those first few days with her two years ago. And, if I'm completely honest, those days were kind of painful. I was a stressed, tired, and very unsure new mom. I didn't know what I was doing, and I didn't understand why Elise did what she did or how to best care for her. I remember praying to God to give me a mother's heart. I know some moms are born with that amazing love for their kids, and I know I had some of that. But, really, I didn't feel it much those first weeks. There I was, spending nearly every waking minute with my beautiful baby girl fearing that maybe I didn't have what it takes to love her as a mother should.


Fast forward 2 years. Oh my. Talk about answered prayer. I still don't know what I'm doing. To say that I'm unsure is an understatement. I don't know when molars are supposed to poke through or how much milk she should drink. I have no idea what shots she gets tomorrow at her 2 year appointment or how to stop her from whining when she wants something. But I know that every bit of my being, at every moment of each and every day, I love her more than I ever knew was possible. The fact that God has entrusted this amazing little girl to me blows me away.


My prayers are a little different now, 2 years later. I still pray for a God-fearing mother's heart, yes. And I pray for patience, as any mother of a preschooler does. But mostly I thank God for Elise and how much joy she brings to my life. I thank God for her sweet smile, surprising sense of humor, and her strong confidence at only 2 years old. I thank Him for her healthy little body and that her brain works to absorb new things every day. I thank Him for our days together walking to the park and having tea parties in the living room. I thank God for blessing me with a little girl who is the best part of my day, every day.



Happy 2, Elise JoLea. Celebrating you today was such a joy.



1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Julie. Happy 2 Elise!!! You have got to be the most adorable two-year-old around!

    ReplyDelete