Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm Not Sorry

I had lunch with my very wise sister the other day. She gave me some good advice: Don't be sorry. So I'm not, and I won't be. Or at least I'm going to try not to be.....

I'm not sorry for stepping on toes when I'm looking out for Elise.

I'm not sorry to decline invitations when my family just needs a night/day/meal/hour/weekend at home.

I'm not sorry if my enthusiasm blurs the focus or if my focus blurs the enthusiasm.

I'm not sorry for being honest, even though honesty, even very gentle honesty, is hard to hear.

I'm not sorry for saying no, saying yes, wanting good things, working too long, working a half day, paying too much, going the long way, taking time for myself, being sick, ignoring the clothes in the dryer, forgetting dinner, enjoying dessert, leaving the lights on....

There are way too many opportunities begging us to be sorry. Some of them count. Most of them don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment