Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Bees are Coming!!!

Yes, the bees are on their way. That's right, bees. This endeavor began when Bryan and I watched a program on PBS last spring about the honey bee crisis. Apparently, honey bees are dying in droves every year, threatening the pollination of all of our flowers, fruits, and vegetables. The Bee Movie actually did a very good job at explaining what's happening with the honey bees. After a lot of encouragement from my family, Bryan ordered the bee stuff and the bees. The hive box came in a billion pieces that we (Bryan) has to paint and assemble, which he is going to do this weekend with the help from my dad and a friend. He also ordered all the gear so that he can take good care of the bees (doesn't he look cute in his veil??) Then....the bees will arrive Easter weekend! I think that the hive comes with a couple thousand bees, including the queen. I've named her Deborah, which means "honey bee." Now, a note to all our neighbors: our bees will not be living in our backyard. They will be out at my parents' house where the bees will enjoy feasting on the blueberry farms and my dad's tomatoes. We'll let you know when we have honey to share!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Boy! And I'm not kidding! What a fun thing to return home from vacation to! I've got my biscuit recipes ready and waiting. Nothing better than biscuits and honey :) Also, I like the name Deborah. The kids will like it too! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are too funny. I had to share this post with John. :) I will admit, though...we were both relieved to get to the end of the post and find out that the bees won't be living next door! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting adventure! What is Elise going to think about all of those bees? You'll have to get her a little bee suit or something cute like that. She is such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan looks pretty great in his bee hat thingy. I am excited to meet these bees sometime soon. Good luck guys!

    ReplyDelete