Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thankful Tree


In the spirit of thanksgiving, and at the recommendation of my very wise sister, Jessica, our family started a new tradition: a thankful tree. Every day we ask Elise to think of something that she is thankful for.


Even though Elise often says "thank you, mommy," she doesn't really understand thankfulness. She's only 2! But, she can think of things that she likes or make her happy. So, the first day that I asked her, she said "wawafs," which translates to waffles. Great! I wrote down waffles and attached it to our little tree. Day 2: "Elise, what is something that you're thankful for today?" Elise: "wawafs!" The girl loves her breakfast foods.


So, every day I try to have her come up with something other than waffles to be thankful for. I'm kinda tempted to just write down waffles every day and enjoy the laugh, but what if she forever associates thankfulness with waffles?!


The last few days have been things like monkeys, our fish Myrtle, babies, mommy (yes, a little coaching on that one), daddy (no coaching required), and swings.


I hope that as our thankful tree grows more and more leaves, so will our thankfulness to
God for all our wonderful blessings, even blessings as simple and delicious as waffles.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT idea, Julie! I just might "steal" it! And as for being thankful for mommy, I often have to "remind" Sadie to thank Jesus for mommy after she's thanked Him for her grandparents and daddy a few times!:) Something about Daddy's girls! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this idea before -- super cute! What a fun tradition to start while Elise is young!

    ReplyDelete